Avoiding Multiple Vitamin Overdosing
Multiple vitamin overdose is a serious issue for older patients, especially those who can’t remember if they have taken their multivitamin for the day. An overdose happens when a person intentionally or accidentally consumes more than the recommended amount of supplements. It is a serious issue that happens too often with older Americans.
The poisonous ingredient in a multivitamin is any ingredient. While iron and calcium are the most dangerous supplements, any of the ingredients are toxic in larger amounts.
Symptoms of Overdose:
- Cloudy Urine
- Increased and Frequent Urine
- Dry or Cracked Lips
- Increased Sensitivity to Light and Eye Irritation
- Irregular or Rapid Heartbeat
- Joint or Bone Pain
- Muscle Pain or Weakness
- Confusion or Seizures
- Mental or Mood Changes
- Flushing of the Skin
- Cracked Skin
- Burning Skin or Rash
- Yellow Areas on Skin
- Hair Loss and Sun Sensitivity
- Loss of Appetite
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea
- Weight Loss
- Care at Home
It is important to avoid making an overdosing person throw up. DO NOT make him or her vomit unless a Poison Control Center has instructed you to do so. Call emergency care with the following information:
Person’s age, weight and exact condition
Name of product (grab the bottle for specific questions from the medical professional)
Time and amount swallowed
The National Poison Control Center can help. They are available anytime, anywhere, at 1-800-222-1222. This hotline will connect you to experts in poisoning.
There are ways to ensure no one overdoses on multivitamins. Contact a professional at Vancouver Home Health Care Agency to go over these methods of avoidance, or to ask questions regarding the use of a multivitamin.
At Vancouver Home Health Care Agency, Caring and Compassion is our business.