Position:Medical Social Worker (Masters Level) (MSW)
Job Summary : Responsible for the provision, direction, supervision and evaluation of medical social services to clients in the home environment, in accordance with agency policies and procedures, applicable health standards, governmental laws and regulations. Proactively meet the needs of and assist the client in the achievement of individualized and measurable outcomes.
Qualifications/Educational Requirements :
- Masters Degree from a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education of Social Work with a current license.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Minimum of one year social work experience in a healthcare setting.
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skill.
Responsibilities/essential functions : The person in this position must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Instruct, treat, observe and evaluate clients with significant social and emotional situations affecting their health status.
- Use special skills and judgment to resolve adverse social and emotional responses connected with the illness.
- Report any changes in client’s condition and response to treatment to supervisor and the physician.
- Participate in development and re-evaluation of POC for clients needing MSW.
- Instruct and counsel the client and family in treating and coping with the social and emotional responses to illness.
- Provide ongoing assessment of needs.
- Participate in discharge planning.
- Participate in care coordination activities and act as resource to other team members in identification and resolution of client needs.
- Use appropriate community resources.
- Attend, participate in and/or conduct internal staff development programs, obtain CEU’s as required by regulations.
- Participate in staff meetings, in-service programs and Utilization reviews.
- Review LSW documentation for accuracy with plan of care and cosigns.
- Supervise Bachelor’s level social workers.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform to the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to communicate effectively;
- Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form;
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone, and other related equipment;
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to safely lift, move, or maneuver whatever may be necessary to successfully perform the duties of their position;
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently function in a general office environment; and
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently function in a general office environment, with frequent travel to a variety of field sites.
Employee works in an office environment sometimes with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Employee will have to travel to a variety of patient homes and perform in conditions that vary greatly depending upon the client’s home environment. Some homes will be clean, neat, and maintained at a comfortable temperature. Other homes may be cluttered, dirty, with an uncomfortable temperature.
The above list reflects the essential functions and other job functions considered necessary of the job identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job, or assigned by supervisory personnel.This job description is used as a guide only and not inclusive of responsibilities and job duties.