Position: Certified Nurse Aide/ Home Health Aide (HHA)
Job Summary : Provide supportive and personal services for the patients with consideration of dignity and privacy. Provide personal care and hygiene to home health patients.
Qualifications/Educational Requirements :
- Graduate of an accredited High School or equivalent preferred.
- Ability read, write and follow directions.
- Must be a certified nursing assistant with proof of certification.
- A minimum of one year full-time experience in direct patient in an institutional setting (hospital or nursing facility) or one year full-time experience within the last five years in direct client care in an agency setting.
- Effective for services furnished after August 14, 1990, a person who has successfully completed a State-established or other training program that meets the requirements of §484.36(a) and a competency evaluation program or State licensure program that meets the requirements of §484.36 (b) or (e), or a competency evaluation program or State licensure program that meets the requirements of §484.36 (b) or (e). An individual is not considered to have completed a training and competency evaluation program, or a competency evaluation program if, since the individual’s most recent completion of this program(s), there has been a continuous period of 24 consecutive months during none of which the individual furnished services described in §409.40 of this chapter for compensation.
- Work positively and favorably with patients, families, and staff.
- Demonstrate compassion, responsibility, and cheerful attitude.
- Listed on the nurse aide registry with no finding against the aide relating to client abuse or neglect or misappropriation of client property.
Responsibilities/essential functions : The person in this position must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Provide only those services written in the plan of care and received as written instructions from the registered nurse supervisor as permitted under State law. May provide assistance with the following ADL’s during each visit: mobility, transferring, walking, grooming, bathing, dressing or undressing, eating, or toileting. Some examples of assistance include:
- helping the patient with a bath, care of the mouth, skin and hair;
- helping the patient to the bathroom or in using a bedpan or urinal;
- helping the patient to dress and/or undress;
- helping the patient in and out of bed, assisting with ambulation;
- helping the patient with prescribed exercises which the patient and the health aide have been taught by appropriate personnel; and
- performing such incidental household services essential to the patient’s health care at home that are necessary to prevent or postpone institutionalization;
- May perform care assigned by a registered nurse if the delegation is in compliance with current standards of nursing practice.
- Shall complete a clinical note for each visit, which must be incorporated into record at least on a weekly basis.
- Follow the instructions of the professional nurse/therapist in providing care.
- Perform and record accurate measurements (i.e. vital signs, or intake/output as instructed in the care plans).
- Observe and report any safety hazards found in the client’s home or any significant observations regarding the client.
- Attend staff meetings, attend/complete 12 hours of annual in-services, and participates in orientation of new employees.
- Report patient complaints to the RN.
- Maintain patient confidentiality/adheres to HIPAA requirements and agency policy and procedures manual.
- Possess the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Report abnormal findings in patient’s conditions as observed and per care plan to RN.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform to the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to communicate effectively;
- Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form;
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone, and other related equipment;
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to safely lift, move, or maneuver whatever may be necessary to successfully perform the duties of their position;
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently function in a general office environment; and
- Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to enable the employee to efficiently function in a general office environment, with frequent travel to a variety of field sites.
Employee works in an office environment sometimes with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Employee will have to travel to a variety of patient homes and perform in conditions that vary greatly depending upon the client’s home environment. Some homes will be clean, neat, and maintained at a comfortable temperature. Other homes may be cluttered, dirty, with an uncomfortable temperature.
The above list reflects the essential functions and other job functions considered necessary of the job identified, and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job, or assigned by supervisory personnel. This job description is used as a guide only and not inclusive of responsibilities and job duties.